Easy (Almost) Mess-Free Toddler Window Paint!



Having a two year old isn’t easy. Entertaining a two year old for an extended time is hard. Entertaining my two year old for more than five minutes is nearly impossible. Little Man is a very high energy child who has a knack for getting into everything when he gets bored. This happens pretty often because he has the attention span of a goldfish. Bless him.

That brings us to today’s DIY project! What child doesn’t love painting?? But what parent wants to clean up the mess and potentially stainand ruin clothes, carpet, walls, etc. Not me. Around Christmas time I was trying to find an easy, homemade recipe for decorating the windows in my kids’playroom. I couldn’t find what I really wanted.

 Pinterest, you failed me. :(


So, I started to rummage around in my pantry to see what I could come up with.

Simple and cheap!
I was able to make what I needed with two simple ingredients! Cornstarch and water! One of my favorite things about this is that it is made of food products and completely non-toxic, which is great since Little Man puts everything in his mouth (except real food *sigh*).
Just mix approximately 1tbs of cornstarch with 1/4cup of water. This will make a kind of transparent white paint. If you want a deeper white, just add more cornstarch. It will start settling to the the bottom the longer it sits, but a few more stirs makes it good as new. If you feel comfortable enough that your kid won’t paint on something besides the window, you can add a drop of food coloring. I’m not that brave, so I just leave it white. He still loves it!

Check out that stirring action!
I usually just saturate a sponge brush and let him have at it. Of course if you have an older child, you can let them have the “paint” to dip it themselves.


So Fun!
It dries a more solid white
This kept him busy for 30 minutes! Wow!


It’s easy to clean off the window with any window cleaning solution and if it does get on something that is harder to wipe off (like carpet), that’s ok, because when it dries, it just becomes powdery and can be vacuumed off. :)

Of course, he couldn't just paint the windows....
Clean with just a little soapy water!


Also, If you use 2 tbs of cornstarch instead of one, it makes great car window paint, too!

Enjoy!


What do you do to keep your child entertained?




Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
Psalms 127:3-5








UA-38416531-1

Comments

Popular Posts