T-shirt to baby dress refashion



Hello!!! Is anyone else in shock that February is pretty much over?? I mean seriously, this year has absolutely flown by. I’m trying my best to clean out my closets before my official “Spring Cleaning” gets going. Unfortunately, I lack the ability to throw things away. Even if I haven’t worn something in years, there is this little voice in my head that says, “ No…. I can’t give you up!!” Like this t-shirt:





Ok. I’m almost 27 and have two kids. Really, I don’t need to wear this anymore. But isn’t it cute??? I love pirate stuff! Skulls and crossbones are just freaking awesome and black is my favorite color. I’ve already got a small collection of pirate-y stuff for my Little Man, but Baby Girl’s collection is seriously lacking. So, I decided to refashion this into a cute little dress for her! One great perk about this being an older tee, is that it’s already gotten that broken-in super soft feel already.

Now, I am not a seamstress by any means, so this means that I’m probably not doing things the “right” way. This is just how I do it. Warning! The way I do things may only make sense to me and seem like complete and utter nonsense to the casual onlooker.
 





First thing’s first! I pressed it to make sure there wouldn’t be any sewing/cutting oopsies because of wrinkles.



Then I cut out the neck and put it aside. I’ll be using that later ;) Next, I turn it inside out.





I go to her closet and grab something that she can wear that she still has a little room for growth. I lay it over the shirt to get a rough size to work with.




The actually dress I’m making is sleeveless so I just fold them over. I have a handy white charcoal pencil from my art supplies that is perfect for tracing what I need.




I’m just doing a simple a-line dress so I just do a straight line and mark where the arm holes and the top will be and pin in place.




Then I go ahead and stitch the sides, then trim off the excess. This makes it easier for me to not to cut off too much material because I have a tendency to get a little snip happy with scissors. I’m not the only one right??









Before I sew up the shoulders, I fold my shirt in half and cut the neck so it is even. Then I cut off the bottom.











After that, I stitch the shoulders and turn it right side out again. I pull out the front and fold it in half and cut it just a bit lower so it doesn’t choke her.





I make some ruffles to sew on the sleeves from some left over material (here is a great tutorial for making knit ruffles for awesome t-shirts here) and I made some rosettes for the bottom out of the neck and sleeve trim. I don’t have pics on how I made the rosettes, because it wouldn’t make sense even if I tried to explain them. But never fear, you can find another tutorial here.


Ain't she a cutie??
Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Do you ever use give your kids your hand-me-downs? :)

Comments

  1. That's hilarious. I love downsizing graphic Ts for my baby boy but I think the effect is even better when you combine it with feminine elements like you did here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just couldn't stop myself from adding some bows and frills! I guess having a little boy first made me unable to resist the lure of feminine accessories when my baby girl come along!

      Delete
  2. OMG adorable! Thank you for contributing to Refashion First Friday!

    LaLaLauren
    & Refashion Co-Op Editors

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts